High Dose Vitamin C Produces An Oxidative Reaction
Vitamin C is primarily known as an antioxidant which means it helps protect against oxidative stress. However, in higher concentrations, vitamin C functions as a pro-oxidant. It is through the pro-oxidant, or oxidative, mechanism that vitamin C can kill viruses and bacteria. Vitamin C dosages above 20 gram are generally considered oxidative and are often referred to as âhigh-dose.â
Research has shown oral supplementation with vitamin C can only reach blood plasma concentrations of 220 micromol/L while 50 grams intravenous vitamin C concentrations peak at 13,4000 micromol/L
Intravenous Vitamin C Alone In Patients With Covid
A pilot clinical trial in China randomized 56 adults with COVID-19 in the intensive care unit to receive intravenous vitamin C 24 g per day or placebo for 7 days. The study was terminated early due to a reduction in the number of cases of COVID-19 in China. Overall, the study found no differences between the arms in mortality, the duration of mechanical ventilation, or the change in median sequential organ failure assessment scores. The study reported improvements in oxygenation from baseline to Day 7 in the treatment arm that were statistically greater than those observed in the placebo arm .4
Does Iv Vitamin Therapy Work
IV therapy itself is not new and has been used in the medical profession for decades. In hospitals, it is commonly used to hydrate patients and administer essential nutrients if there is an issue with gut absorption, or long-term difficulty eating or drinking due to surgery.
Single nutrient deficiencies like vitamin B12 or iron are also often treated in hospital with infusions under medical supervision.
But the “cocktails” IV vitamin therapy clinics create and administer are not supported by scientific evidence. There have been no clinical studies to show vitamin injections of this type offer any health benefit or are necessary for good health.
In fact, there are very few studies that have looked at their effectiveness at all.
There is one review on the use of the “Myers’ cocktail” . But it just contains a collection of anecdotal evidence from singular case studies.
Another trial looked into the effectiveness of IV vitamin therapy in reducing symptoms of 34 people with the the chronic pain condition fibromyalgia. It found no significant differences between those who received the “Myers’ cocktail” once a week for eight weeks and those who did not.
In fact, the authors noted a strong placebo effect. In other words, many people said their symptoms improved when they were only injected with a “dummy” cocktail.
Read Also: What Is The Best Vitamin To Fight Cancer
What Happens On The Day Of Your Appointment At Our London Clinic
You get a consultation from a highly experienced IV Doctor
On the day of your appointment you will be seen by one of our highly trained IV specialist Doctors or IV Boost founder, Dr Joshua Berkowitz himself. We will have a medical consultation with you to learn your personal needs and confirm the most suitable IV treatment options for you.
Relax & enjoy your IV therapy treatment
Our clinic is an oasis of calm in the centre of London. Once your treatment has been chosen, you can sit back, relax and enjoy as we transform your health with an IV Vitamin Therapy experience, which will take from 30 minutes 1 hour, depending on your treatment.
Emerge feeling instantly revived
Continue your day and enjoy your mind & body feeling instantly rejuvenated as the vitamins and minerals are infused directly into your bloodstream giving you the valuable nutrients you need.
Side Effects Of Treatment
Vitamin C injections are safe when used for FDA-approved reasons at typical doses. The most common side effects are pain and swelling at the injection site.
Very high doses of vitamin C injections also seem to have few side effects. Some of these include nausea and pain at injection site. Learn more about vitamin C side effects.
Also Check: What Has More Vitamin C Than An Orange
I Generation Of Hydrogen Peroxide
Currently, one of the most widely accepted anti-cancer mechanisms proposed for vitamin C is based on its so-called pro-oxidant activity . However, this terminology can be misleading as vitamin C itself always acts as an antioxidant, through donation of electrons the pro-oxidant action occurs subsequently and is therefore an indirect effect. As such, the term pro-drug has been adopted by some researchers . In vitro, vitamin C is able to reduce transition metal ions, such as ferric and cupric cations, which are present in buffers or in cell culture media. The reduced transition metal ions are then able to generate hydrogen peroxide through reduction of oxygen to the superoxide radical, which can react with itself to form hydrogen peroxide. However, whether catalytically available transition metal ions are found in vivo and can cause enhanced oxidative stress is still a matter of some debate since iron and copper are normally sequestered in transport and storage proteins such as transferrin, ferritin and ceruloplasmin . Nevertheless, in some pathological situations, such as iron and copper-overload diseases and during tissue injury, free transition metal ions may become more catalytically available . It has also been postulated that transition metal ions are catalytically more available in the extracellular fluid of the tumor microenvironment .
What Drugs Interact With High
A drug interaction is a change in the way a drug acts in the body when taken with certain other drugs. High-dose vitamin C, when combined with some anticancer drugs, may cause them to be less effective. So far, these effects have been seen only in some laboratory and animal studies. No clinical trials have been done to further research these drug interactions in humans.
- Combining vitamin C with an anticancer drug called bortezomib has been studied in cell cultures and in animal models. Bortezomib is a targeted therapy that blocks several molecular pathways in a cell, causing cancer cells to die. Several studies showed that vitamin C given by mouth made bortezomib less effective, including in multiple myeloma cells. A study in mice transplanted with human prostate cancer cells, however, did not show that giving the mice different doses of vitamin C by mouth made bortezomib therapy less effective.
- An oxidized form of vitamin C called dehydroascorbic acid has been studied in cell cultures and in animals with tumors. Several studies have found that high doses of dehydroascorbic acid can interfere with the anticancer effects of several chemotherapy drugs. Dehydroascorbic acid is found in only small amounts in dietary supplements and in fresh foods.
You May Like: What Foods Are High In Vitamin B3
Fighting Off Cancer Cells
Vitamin C does more than just protect your body– it can even help you fight cancer. Vitamin C is great for your immune system. When administered intravenously, high doses of Vitamin C will exclusively attack cancer cells, leaving healthy tissue unharmed.To learn more about common conditions, such as cancer, that IV therapy can treat, read this blog post.
Is Iv Vitamin C Effective Against Covid
Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is currently making headlines in the fight against COVID-19. Reports say that intravenous vitamin C may help people suffering from this disease.
Recently, IV vitamin C clinical trials began in China and Italy. Doctors in hard-hit areas of the United States are now reporting using it. Furthermore, IV vitamin C appears in some COVID-19 critical care guidelines, like at the Eastern Virginia Medical School.
Even though using IV vitamin C is nothing new, there is not enough scientific evidence to determine if it works against COVID-19. Read on for more information.
What is IV vitamin C?
A solution of vitamin C is delivered directly into the bloodstream through a vein, typically in the arm. A physicians order is required to receive this treatment. It is important to get IV vitamin C only in a clinic or other medical setting.
Why use IV vitamin C?
IV vitamin C goes straight into the bloodstream. Because it skips the stomach and intestines, vitamin C in the blood rises to very high levels and very quickly.
What do we know about IV vitamin C in COVID-19?
The clinical data from IV vitamin C trials will not be available for many months. So far, doctors and researchers cannot tell how effective IV vitamin C is or how it might work.
What about vitamin C supplements?
Also Check: Are Flintstone Vitamins Good For You
Do Vitamin Ivs Actually Work Here’s Everything You Need To Know
On Assignment For HuffPost
What if you could cure a hangover, boost your immune system, fight lethargy, and get healthier skin all in one shot? Thats what vitamin IV drips promise.
The process works by providing the user with a direct infusion of vitamins and minerals, like high doses of vitamin C or magnesium. Receiving vitamins through an IV allegedly allows the nutrients to bypass the digestive system for a quicker shot of vitality. There are various different formulations of vitamins you can receive depending on your needs.
Fans of the treatment from Bravo reality stars to Adele to Chrissy Teigen and companies that offer the service believe it helps with a number of health complaints. As with most wellness fads, the benefits seem almost too good to be true. I decided to test it out myself and chat with experts on the unconventional practice.
Iv Infusion Therapy As A Treatment For Chronic Conditions
In chronic cases, IV therapy can be used to treat diseases such as:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Adrenal insufficiency or adrenal fatigue
No matter how clean you eat, food today doesnt have the same nutrient density that it once did. Therefore IV nutrition therapy can be a fantastic place to start to receive the missing nutrients. Furthermore, for nutrients to reach the blood, food has to be digested and absorbed efficiently. Gut health must be optimal for this to occur.
You May Like: Where To Buy Vitamin E
Questions To Ask Your Health Care Provider About Cam
When considering complementary and alternative therapies, patients should ask their health care provider the following questions:
- What side effects can be expected?
- What are the risks related to this therapy?
- What benefits can be expected from this therapy?
- Do the known benefits outweigh the risks?
- Will the therapy affect conventional treatment?
- Is this therapy part of a clinical trial?
- If so, who is the sponsor of the trial?
- Will the therapy be covered by health insurance?
What Studies Have Been Done Using High
Laboratory studies and animal studies have been done to find out if high-dose vitamin C may be useful in preventing or treating cancer.
Many laboratory studies have been done to find out how high-dose vitamin C may cause the death of cancer cells. The anticancer effect of vitamin C in different types of cancer cells involves a chemical reaction that makes hydrogen peroxide, which may kill cancer cells.
Laboratory studies have shown the following:
- Treatment with high-dose vitamin C slowed the growth and spread of prostate, pancreatic, liver, colon, malignant mesothelioma, neuroblastoma, and other types of cancer cells.
- Combining high-dose vitamin C with certain types of chemotherapy may be more effective than chemotherapy alone:
- Ascorbic acid with arsenic trioxide may be more effective in ovarian cancer cells.
- Ascorbic acid with gemcitabine may be more effective in pancreatic cancer cells.
- Ascorbic acid with gemcitabine and epigallocatechin-3-gallate may be more effective in malignant mesothelioma cells.
However, not all laboratory studies combining vitamin C with anticancer therapies have shown benefit. Combining dehydroascorbic acid, a particular form of vitamin C, with chemotherapy made it less effective in killing some kinds of cancer cells.
Read Also: What Is The Normal Amount Of Vitamin D
Recharge Revitalise & Rejuvenate With One Of Our Iv Drips Or Booster Shots
- The IV Cocktail that started it all. It contains just the right mix
- of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants for an overall feeling of
- wellness and health promotion.
- Glutathione is the most important molecule the body needs to
- stay healthy which is why it is considered the superhero of all
- antioxidants and ultimate wellness boost.
- Our Fat Burning IM Shot
- Our fat burning shot contains fat burning aminos such as Carnitine,
- Leucine and Methionine to help speed up the fat burning process
- as part of a healthy exercise program or weight loss supplement.
Everything You Need To Know About Vitamin Infusion Therapy
You might have heard of vitamin infusion therapy its all the rage with celebrities such as Rihanna, Rita Ora and Madonna. It has hit the headlines as the new wellness trend, designed to provide a range of health benefits including anti-aging, allergy relief, weight loss and even relief from serious illnesses such as cancer. But what is it, and how does it work?
Also Check: What Foods Give Vitamin C
Q7 What Are The Optimal Doses Frequency And Duration Of Ivc Therapy
Intravenous vitamin C has been used for decades by health care professionals with very little consistency in the dose, frequency, or duration of use. A survey of complementary and alternative medicine practitioners showed an average dose of 28 g/infusion , a frequency of approximately twice a week , and about 19 treatments per patient . Because of the prevailing pro-oxidant paradigm of IVC, it is generally believed that more is better and doses as high as 200 g/infusion have been administered to oncology patients . Lower IVC doses of 2.510 g/infusion have been shown to decrease common cancer- and chemotherapy-related symptoms and improve health-related quality of life .
Ii Enzyme Cofactor Activities
Animal studies, particularly in vitamin C-requiring animals such as Gulo knockout mice and guinea pigs, have indicated that oral dosing and low parenteral doses of vitamin C exhibit comparable decreases in tumor growth to high dose parenteral vitamin C . Since hydrogen peroxide is not detected following oral or low dose IVC administration , this suggests possible tumor growth inhibition mechanisms other than hydrogen peroxide generation are likely operating in these situations. Numerous cell culture and pre-clinical studies have shown regulatory effects of vitamin C administration on various transcription factors and cell signaling pathways, with subsequent effects on cell cycle, angiogenesis, and cell death pathways . Analysis of tissues from various animal models has indicated regulation of numerous genes and their products following administration of vitamin C . Thus, it appears that vitamin C administration, particularly at lower doses, has gene-regulatory effects.
You May Like: Do Lipotropic Vitamin B12 Injections Work
What Do Iv Vitamin Drips Do
When food or supplements are taken orally, they must pass through the gastrointestinal tract where they are absorbed. The food matrix and the presence of other substances in the gut at the same time can influence the extent of the nutrients absorption, both positively and negatively, says Hunty.
As the vitamins and minerals are not completely absorbed by this route, IV drips leads to higher blood levels of these substances than would be achieved by taking them orally.
In short, IV vitamin drips deliver a higher concentration of certain vitamins and minerals into your bloodstream and at a much quicker rate than taking something orally, hence their reputation between the A-lister and jet-set world as a speedy hangover cure.
Generally intravenously is the more efficient way to administer something, agrees Dr Gravaghi. It can be different for vitamin C or vitamin D for example, but generally if you take 1g of something orally, about 40-to-60 per cent will get absorbed. Using an IV method will mean 80-to-100 per cent of that 1g will be easily absorbed.
Recommended Reading: Which Is Better Vitamin D Or D3
Where To Get An Iv
IV therapy is provided in a number of different settings, including:
- Hospitals: Many patients at hospitals undergo some type of IV therapy, typically in addition to some other kind of treatment. People treated with IV therapy at a hospital are either there for an emergency or as an inpatient.
- Urgent care centers: Urgent care centers can handle some more minor emergencies. For example, if you need stitches, you may opt to go to an urgent care center instead of a hospital emergency room. Urgent care centers are typically less expensive than hospitals. Depending on the reason for your visit, you may receive IV therapy at an urgent care center.
- Medical spas: Medical spas, commonly referred to as med spas, offer a wide array of treatments to choose from, ranging from traditional spa options like a massage to medical treatments like IV therapy. As a mix between a spa and a medical clinic, the staff is also a mix of non-healthcare and healthcare professionals. If you undergo an IV drip, a healthcare professional should administer the treatment.
- IV bars: IV bars, sometimes called IV lounges, are designed to offer different IV therapies. These locations are sometimes in a fixed location, while others operate as mobile units.
- At home: Concierge services, like Mobile IV Medics, come to you. Instead of traveling to another location, you can undergo IV therapy in the comfort of your own home. If you are located in Southern California, we likely service your area.
Don’t Miss: How To Give Vitamin D To Baby
How Much Does Iv Vitamin Therapy Cost
Vitamin infusion therapy varies in cost from clinic to clinic. At our clinic, Bay Wellness Centre the cost is $150. The average cost can range from $120-$200. It will be higher reaching in some cases of cancer-specific treatments with very high doses of vitamin C. These types of treatments should only be done by FABNO trained naturopathic physicians.