Benefits Of Drinking Water Daily
Water helps to keep you healthy in a number of ways. When you drink enough, it:
- Helps you remove waste from your body through your urine, stool, and sweat
- Helps your body stay a normal temperature, rather than overheating
- Helps protect delicate tissues in your body
- Keeps your joints cushioned and lubricated
Does Vitamin Water Zero Really Have 0 Calories
The nutritional information on the Vitamin Water Zero bottle label indicates that it contains 4 grams of carbohydrate, and there are 2.5 servings per bottle.
This would mean that there are 10 grams of carbohydrate in every bottle. As you probably already know, each gram of carbohydrate provides 4 calories.
Going by this information, youd assume each bottle of Vitamin Zero Water has 40 calories.
So why, then, is it alleged to have zero calories?
Heres the explanation.
Vitamin Water Zero is sweetened with stevia and erythritol, which are both plant-based sweeteners.
Stevia contains zero calories, while each gram of erythritol contains about 0.2 calories per gram of carbohydrate. 0.2 calories multiplied by the 10 grams of carbs in one bottle equals only 2 meagre calories.
The Food and Drug Administration allows companies to declare calorie-free products that provide less than 5 calories per serving.
This is why Vitamin Water Zero is said to be zero calories.
Before you decide to be drinking it regularly, here are some Vitamin Water Zero pros and cons that you should know
Fizzy Drinks Flavoured Waters And Squashes With Added Sugar
Fizzy drinks, squashes and juice drinks can contain lots of added sugar and very few nutrients, so keep them to a minimum. Children should avoid them completely.
Flavoured water drinks can also contain a surprisingly large amount of sugar, so check food labels before you buy.
Also beware of “juice drinks” as they may not have enough fruit in them to count towards your 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day.
A high sugar content means a drink is also high in calories, which can contribute towards you becoming overweight.
Cutting down on these drinks is a good way of reducing the number of calories you consume while not missing out on any nutrients.
Likewise, getting children to drink fewer sugary drinks is a good way of limiting the amount of sugar they consume.
Children who drink a lot of sugary drinks are more likely to become overweight.
The added sugar in these drinks also means they can damage teeth.
If you do have sugary or fizzy drinks, drinking them with meals can help reduce the damage to teeth.
The best drinks to give children are water and milk.
If you or your children like fizzy drinks, try diluting fruit juice with sparkling water instead.
Remember to dilute squashes well to reduce the sugar content in the drink.
You May Like: What Do You Need Vitamin D For
Why You Should Avoid Drinking Natural Flavors
- Each natural flavor may contain up to 100 ingredients, including synthetic chemicals such as the solvent propylene glycol, the preservative BHA, and GMO-derived ingredients .
- The ingredients in natural flavors are considered proprietary and not disclosed either on the label or to a customer who inquires so you have no clue what is in them.
- Natural flavors can be derived from anything in nature, including animal parts. The only difference between natural and artificial flavors, is that natural flavors are derived from things found in nature .
- They can also legally contain naturally occurring glutamate by-products that act like MSG, which is an excitotoxin. Excitotoxins make food irresistible to eat but can cause stroke, Alzheimers Disease, Parkinsons Disease, obesity, migraines, fatigue, and depression.
- Flavors are designed to have addictive qualities and increase food cravings, contributing to what David Kessler calls a food carnival in your mouth. They trick your mind into wanting more and more. The Big Food Companies are hijacking your taste buds one by one, and lining their corporate pockets at the same time as we buy more products with these addicting synthesized flavors in them. If you are having increased food cravings while guzzling down drinks full of natural flavors, you may want to take a closer look at what you are drinking.
You Feel Tired Or Fatigued
Your kidneys are responsible for filtering the water you drink through your body and making sure the fluid levels in your bloodstream stay balanced. When you drink too much water, your kidneys have to work even harder, creating a stressful reaction from your hormones that leaves your body stressed and fatigued. If youre constantly drinking water and find yourself struggling to get out of bed, it may be because youve added unneeded stress to your kidneys. Next, learn how much water you should really be drinking every day.
You May Like: Is Vitamin C Good For Cancer
Benefits Of Drinking Water: How It Affects Your Skin Weight And More
May 7, 2021 12:15 pm
Water we all need it to live. But are you reaping the benefits of drinking water by including enough in your daily routine?
The general rule is that we need eight glasses of water daily. And while there are hydration benefits from drinking tea and eating liquid-based food such as soup, nothing beats a pure glass of water when it comes to everything from preventing constipation to helping us feel more awake.
The benefits of water range from getting better skin to weight loss and there are many other reasons why water is good for you below, along with tips on how to avoid dehydration.
Is It Possible To Take Too Many Vitamins
You take a closer look and you realize the pill bottles arent prescription medications but vitamins, dozens of them. You wonder if she needs to take all those vitamins and if its possible to take too many?
This scenario is more common than you think. From time to time, I encounter a patient who has a laundry list of vitamins theyre taking. The main question I have for them is do they really need to take them? Sometimes people take vitamins out of habit and they arent even aware if theyre helping.
When I think about vitamins, I think supplements. The vitamins should be supplementing something thats missing from your diet. If your nutrition is bad or you have a condition or disease that prevents your body from absorbing certain nutrients, then yes you need to take supplements. But if your gut is working well and youre eating a balanced diet, youre probably getting all the nutrients your body needs and shouldnt have to take a supplement.
So how do you know if you need to take a supplement?
First, take a close look at your diet. Everything we need is going to be provided in what we find in food. Thats actually the best source. Ask yourself Am I eating a combination of protein, carbohydrates and fat? Does my diet include a variety of fruits and vegetables? Am I a vegetarian or vegan?
If you have a poor diet and are having trouble changing it, supplementation may be necessary.
I take vitamins every day, should I stop?
Can taking too many vitamins impact my health?
Read Also: What Vitamins Build Immune System
Can You Calculate Target Water Intake Based On Your Weight
While some websites recommend calculating water intake based on how much you currently weigh, limited studies support this method. Based on the research done in articles cited here, it is best to determine water intake through a holistic assessment of your environment, activity level/type, age, and gender.
Water intake can, however, assist individuals with weight loss. Studies show that drinking water before a meal or instead of a sugary beverage can lower overall calorie intake, as well as assist in burning calories more efficiently .
What Are The Benefits Of Staying Hydrated During Pregnancy
- Prevents constipation and hemorrhoids. Now that you’re pregnant, you’re not just eating and drinking for two you’re also excreting for two . That means you’ll have more trash to take out of your system than ever before. Enter water, which dissolves the waste products and helps flush them from the kidneys. A copious consumption of water also helps immeasurably in the poop department, helping to move solid wastes more speedily down the digestive path. And, since constipation is pretty common in pregnant women not to mention the fact that constipation pressure can cause hemorrhoids well…bottoms up!
- Prevents UTIs. Drinking enough water also keeps your urine diluted, which not only keeps things flowing but also keeps UTIs at bay , as well as bladder infections and kidney infections .
- Avoid overheating. Is it crazy-hot in here or are you pregnant? Its true, the heat is on when you’re expecting. But if you drink water during pregnancy, you can keep the body’s cooling system running smoothly even when your inner thermostat is cranked all the way up by dispersing excess heat in the form of sweat.
- Fights fatigue. An ample flow of fluids also keeps pregnancy fatigue in check one of the first symptoms of dehydration is exhaustion and can keep headaches at bay . It also helps your body get rid of excess sodium among other things, minimizing swelling particularly swollen feet or ankles .
Don’t Miss: What Does Vitamin D Pills Do For You
Are Vitamin Drinks Providing Too Many Vitamins
Health and sports drinks like Vitaminwater and Naked Juice pride themselves for containing high amounts of vitamins or nutrients. But a new study finds that many of these beverages often have excessive amounts of vitamins, sometimes in harmful dosages.
A study published in the journal Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism looked at 46 drinks sold next to bottled water in grocery stores. Researchers found that 18 of the drinks had three times the recommended dosage of B6, and 11 had three times the suggested amount of B12.
In general, the study noted, the vitamins often included in sports drinks include vitamins plentiful in the average persons diet, making the need to add some vitamins in drinks somewhat unnecessary. Combined with multivitamin supplements, excessive vitamin intake can add up. In some cases, the body will simply eliminate vitamins if there are too many, but for others too much can be harmful.
When consumed in excess, some water-soluble vitamins like B and C are excreted in the urine, a New York Times article explained. But fat soluble-vitamins including A, D, E and K accumulate in the tissues, posing potential risks.
Consuming an excessive amount of vitamins by eating natural food is nearly impossible, but some vitamin drinks have the recommended amount, some even more, of particular vitamins, including Vitaminwaters Formula 50, which includes 120 percent of the recommended amount of Vitamin C, B6 and B12.
Youre Not Getting Any Extra Nutrients
The nutrients on the Vitaminwater label may make it appear you will get more benefit from this than from plain water.
Remember, though, your bodys only going to absorb a certain number of vitamins and nutrients each day.
You will likely obtain some of the nutrients in Vitaminwater from other sources. These include whole food and fresh fruits and vegetables.
The body then flushes out the excess nutrients it doesnt need. In other words, you gain nothing by consuming Vitaminwater.
Recommended Reading: What Vitamin Is Good For Healthy Nails
Know The Warning Signs
So, what’s the first physical indicator that you’re getting too much of something? Dr. Bailey says each nutrient has different red flags, but the Office of Dietary Supplementswhich is connected to the National Institute of Healthhas some pretty amazing fact sheets that lay everything out in great detail.
“They explain how much you need of everything based on how old you are, your gender, and if you’re pregnant or lactating,” she says. “Plus, you can see all the available science on each vitamin, so they really do all the homework for you.” Whenever you add a supplement to your diet, it’s a good idea to check out the fact pages and get familiar with the first signs you’re overloading your system.
When used in the right way, supplements can be awesome tools to help you feel amazing. In the end, it all comes down to awareness. Being mindful of what you’re putting in your body isn’t just good advice when it comes to foodthe same applies to your vitamin regime, too.
Dont Be Fooled By Zero Calorie Drinks And Flavored Waters With Ingredients Like These
Perhaps they purposefully make the ingredients so hard to read on a bottle of Propel because they are so horrible!
Propel Flavored Water Black Cherry: Water, Citric Acid, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Natural Flavor, Salt, Potassium Sorbate, Potassium Citrate, Sodium Citrate, Ascorbic Acid , Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, Calcium Disodium EDTA, Calcium Pantothenate , Niacinamide , Vitamin E Acetate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride .
Recommended Reading: Can You Take Too Much Vitamin D Supplement
I Personally Prefer The Taste Of A Real Squeeze Of Lemon Or Fruit Juice In My Water Over Anything That Is Found In These Drinks They Just Taste Artificial To Me And I Like To Know Exactly What Im Drinking
I feel like if something tastes like lemon, then it should actually contain lemon! And it honestly just takes two seconds to squeeze some fresh lemon juice into sparkling water and know exactly what youre drinking. Thats not to mention all the nutrients that you are getting from the lemon juice as wellbecause natural flavors may have zero calories, but they also have zero nutrition and provide zero health benefits.
These Zero Calorie Drinks Promote Weight Gain Not Loss
Im so happy to see that sales of Diet Coke and Pepsi keep plummeting more people are wising up to the fact that these drinks are ridiculously horrible for the body and looking for healthier options. In their place, new zero-calorie drinks and flavored waters are flooding the market, and are now taking up some serious shelf space in major grocery stores. Some of these fruity waters and fizzy sugar free drinks are being promoted as health drinks but are they really?
Unfortunately, many of them are filled with controversial additives that can be sabotaging your weight and your health even if they have no calories, look like bottled water, or have really short ingredient lists! Lets take a closer look at whats in some of the most popular brands like Sparkling Ice and Cascade Ice. They sell these by the case at Costco, but are they truly any better than soda?
These drinks have zero calories because they are sweetened with Sucralose . The artificial colors in these drinks are derived from petroleum and linked to several health issues, including allergies, cancer, and hyperactivity in children. Europe requires any food containing dyes to carry the warning label, May Have an Adverse Effect on Activity and Attention in Children, but thats not required here in the States. If thats not bad enough, theyre also preserved with Potassium Benzoate, which can form the carcinogen Benzene when combined with vitamin C . This is a toxic combo in a plastic bottle!
Don’t Miss: Can You Use Fsa For Vitamins
What Are The Benefits Of Drinking Water For Skin
Its touted as an integral part of our beauty routine, but how does water improve the largest organ in the body? Our skin is a thirsty organ it contains about 72% water, explains Helen. Many beauty therapists and dermatologists regard good hydration as important to help keep the skins elasticity, softness, tone and appearance. So, as well as eating well, to keep your skin looking youthful, make sure youre taking on board enough fluid. Opting for water means that youre not adding sugar or calories to your daily diet, while maintaining good levels of hydration, she says.
A healthy fluid intake also balances oil levels in skin to avoid greasiness. And it ensures that the skin is adequately defended against sun and wind damage. Youll still need your sun cream, though, adds Carrie. In fact, drinking enough water can even help skin conditions like cracked heels.
Alongside exercise and a calorie-controlled diet, drinking water may help with weight loss.
You Urinate Frequently Including During The Night
You may be drinking too much water if you find yourself often waking up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. According to the Cleveland Clinic, most people urinate between six and eight times a day. If you find yourself urinating more than ten times a day, you may be drinking more water than your body needs. Other causes include an overactive bladder and caffeine. To prevent nighttime urination, have your last glass of water a couple hours before bed to give your kidneys time to filter the water through your body.
Don’t Miss: What’s The Best Way To Get Vitamin D
The Fruits And Vegetables In This Homemade Vitamin Water Are Themselves Highly Nourishing:
- Watermelon: rich in vitamins A and C, plus phytonutrients including anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatories, and cucurbitacins.
- Cucumber: good source of vitamins B5, C and K, plus phytonutrients including anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatories, and cucurbitacins.
- Grapefruit: high in vitamins A and C, lycopene, plus phytonutrients including limonoids.
- Lemon: high in vitamin C, plus phytonutrients including anti-oxidants, and cancer-fighting limonoids. Also provides antibiotic effects.
- Lime: high in vitamin C, plus phytonutrients including anti-oxidants, flavonoids, and cancer-fighting limonoids. Also provides antibiotic effects.
- Mint: has anti-microbial properties and can ease digestive upset.
For a full days worth of nutrients and fiber, be sure to accompany lots of whole fruits and vegetables with your daily dose of vitamin water.
As a side note, the pitcher in these photos is packed with fruit it almost looks like a fruit salad, right? lol for fast infusion. You can fill your pitcher with cold water, add lots of fruit, and serve immediately, knowing that the goodness will quickly seep into the water through sheer volume alone.
To store the leftovers, simply strain out the fruit and top off with more cold water, leaving a lime slice and mint leaf or two, if thats your flavor preference .