Federal Trade Commission Investigation
Geritol was the subject of years of investigation starting in 1959 by the Federal Trade Commission . In 1965, the FTC ordered the makers of Geritol to disclose that Geritol would relieve symptoms of tiredness only in persons who suffer from iron deficiency anemia, and that the vast majority of people who experience such symptoms do not have such a deficiency. Geritol’s claims were discredited in court findings as “conduct amounted to gross negligence and bordered on recklessness,” ruled as a false and misleading claim, and heavily penalized with fines totaling $812,000 , the largest FTC fine up to that date . Although subsequent trials and appeals from 1965 to 1973 concluded that some of the FTC demands exceeded its authority, Geritol was already well known and continued to be the largest U.S. company selling iron and B-vitamin supplements through 1979.
Since then, supplemental iron products, including Geritol, have been contraindicated because of concerns over hemochromatosis, and serious questions raised in studies for men, postmenopausal women, and nonanemic patients with liver disease, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, or cancer.
What Happens If Geritol Multivitamin Nutrition Support Tablets Is Out Of Stock And I Need To Give Specific Instructions
- Find Best Match: By default, your shopper will use their best judgement to pick a replacement for your item.
- Pick Specific Replacement: You can pick a specific alternative for the shopper to purchase if your first choice is out-of-stock.
- Don’t Replace: For items you’d rather not replace, choose “Don’t replace” to get a refund if the item is out of stock.
How Do I Store And/or Throw Out Geritol Complete
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Don’t Miss: How To Measure Vitamin D Levels
Prenatal Vitamins And Fertility
Taking a prenatal vitamin wont increase your chances of becoming pregnant, but the supplements included are important for a potentially developing baby.
Folic acid is an important vitamin for women who could become pregnant. Folic acid is a B vitamin that helps with the development of the spine during pregnancy.
When there is a lack of folic acid in the body while pregnant, a condition called neural tube defects can happen. Neural tube defects are severe birth defects of the brain and spine. One example of neural tube defects is spina bifida, which is when the lower part of the spine doesnt completely close during the babys development.
Research shows that the neural tube develops early during pregnancy, between two to four weeks into it. Many women dont find out they are pregnant until at least four weeks into their pregnancy, so taking a vitamin supplement with adequate folic acid is important when trying to conceive.
What Are Some Side Effects That I Need To Call My Doctor About Right Away
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash hives itching red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever wheezing tightness in the chest or throat trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking unusual hoarseness or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
If your product has iron in it:
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
- Stomach cramps.
- Belly pain.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
Don’t Miss: How Are Vitamin D Supplements Made
How Can You Boost Your Fertility
When youre trying to get pregnant, a good first step is to make sure youre eating a healthy diet and getting regular exercise. You want to try and get as many vitamins and minerals from your food as possible. Next, talk to your doctor about selecting a prenatal vitamin thats right for you. Prenatal vitamins come in a variety of different formulas. For example, some contain more iron. These are made for women who were anemic before pregnancy.
Dr. Silverberg says there are other supplements you can take to boost fertility that have been studied. He suggests dehydroepiandrosterone and coenzyme Q10 .
DHEA is a hormone your body makes naturally. It helps the body make male and female sex hormones. Some research has shown that taking DHEA might help boost fertility by stimulating ovulation. However, using DHEA as a supplement is controversial. It is unclear whether it is beneficial for all women with fertility problems, and in some cases may be harmful.
CoQ10 is an antioxidant your body makes to help with cell function. As we get older, the body makes less of it. Supplement manufacturers make a man-made version of the antioxidant that you can take by mouth.
Its been shown to provide a variety of health benefits. Dr. Silverberg says there are a couple studies that suggest higher pregnancy rates when women take CoQ10, but experts arent sure why that is yet.
Geritol Vs Prenatal Vitamins
Prenatal vitamins are specifically formulated to meet the needs of pregnant women. Some vitamins and mineralslike folic acid, iron, and calciumare needed in high amounts while pregnant and nursing, and prenatal vitamins provide those supplemental nutrients.
Geritol is a multivitamin designed to meet the needs of adults based on the general recommendations for vitamin and mineral intake. The manufacturer states that their products are not formulated with pregnant womens needs in mind.
|Geritol Multivitamin vs. Prenatal Vitamins|
|120 mcg||150 mcg|
You could choose to take Geritol as a multivitamin while trying to conceive and during pregnancy, but it hasnt been created for that purpose, so it may not be the best choice.
Discuss with your healthcare provider which supplement would be best to meet your needs to support your health while trying to conceive and during pregnancy.
Also Check: What Is The Most Bioavailable Form Of Vitamin C
Compare With Similar Items
|4.8 out of 5 stars||4.7 out of 5 stars||4.7 out of 5 stars||4.5 out of 5 stars|
|Shipping||FREE Shippingon orders over $25.00 shipped by Amazon or get Fast, Free Shipping with||FREE Shippingon orders over $25.00 shipped by Amazon or get Fast, Free Shipping with||FREE Shipping. Details||FREE Shippingon orders over $25.00 shipped by Amazon or get Fast, Free Shipping with|
|100 Count||12 Fl Oz||12 Fl Oz||7.7 Fl Oz|
4.8 out of 5 stars
What Are Geritol Multivitamin Ingredients
Geritol Multivitamin contains the following ingredients: Dibasic Calcium Phosphate Anhydrous, Magnesium Oxide, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Niacinamide Ascorbate , dl-Î±-Tocopheryl Acetate , Potassium Chloride, Beta Carotene , Stearic Acid, Polyvinyl Pyrrolidone, Zinc Oxide, Carbonyl Iron, Calcium d-Pantothenate, Pyridoxine HCl , Silicon Yeast, Manganese Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate , Cholecalciferol , Biotin, Magnesium Stearate, Hydrated Silica, Cupric Oxide, Riboflavin , Silicon Dioxide, Cyanocobalamin . Phytonadione , Folic Acid, Potassium Iodide, Chromium Chloride, Sodium Molybdate , Sodium Selenate , Sodium Metavanadate, Nickelous Sulfate, Stannous Chloride, Hypromellose, Polyethylene Glycol 8000, Polyethylene Glycol 400, Carnauba Wax. Contains 1% or less of the following ingredients: FD& C Blue #2, FD& C Red #40, FD& C Yellow #6, and Titanium Dioxide.
Read Also: Are Flintstone Vitamins Good For You
What Do I Need To Tell My Doctor Before I Take Geritol Complete
- If you are allergic to Geritol Complete ) any part of Geritol Complete ) or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
If your product has iron in it:
- If you have too much iron in your body.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Geritol Complete ).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Geritol Complete ) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
How Much Does Instacart Delivery Or Pickup Cost
- Delivery fees start at $3.99 for same-day orders over $35. Fees vary for one-hour deliveries, club store deliveries, and deliveries under $35.
- Service fees vary and are subject to change based on factors like location and the number and types of items in your cart. Orders containing alcohol have a separate service fee.
- Tipping is optional but encouraged for delivery orders. It’s a great way to show your shopper appreciation and recognition for excellent service. 100% of your tip goes directly to the shopper who delivers your order.
- There may be a “pickup fee” on your pick up order that is typically $1.99 for non-Express members. Express membership waives this like it would a delivery fee.
- Pick up orders have no service fees, regardless of non-Express or Express membership.
Don’t Miss: What Vitamins To Take For Eczema
How Is This Medicine Best Taken
Use Geritol Complete ) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with Geritol Complete ). If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure Geritol Complete ).
- Chew well before swallowing.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take Geritol Complete ) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
Will Geritol Help You Get Pregnant
Having the right amount of vitamins and minerals is an important part of getting pregnant, as it helps to increase your overall health status. But there isnt any medical evidence to suggest that Geritol, in particular, will help you conceive.
In fact, the brand itself says that any claims that Geritol will boost fertility are false: There is, unfortunately, no evidence that specifically taking Geritol can increase your fertility or your chances of getting pregnant. We dont make any fertility claims, and were not quite sure how the rumor got started.
One possibility for people thinking the multivitamin will help them get pregnant is because of its iron content. Iron is needed for the body to produce hemoglobin, a protein in red blood cells that moves oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body.
The mineral is also needed for growth, development, and the functioning of certain cells. When a woman has her period, she loses iron. A supplement can help replace whats lost. Women also need iron during pregnancy when their blood volume increases up to 40 percent. Iron is also found in foods such as red meat, beans, green leafy vegetables, and more, so if someone has a balanced diet, they may already take in adequate iron.
However, since the vitamin and mineral formulas sold under the Geritol label arent designed for fertility, they dont have the same makeup as a prenatal vitamin.
Also Check: What Is Natural Vitamin C
What Is Geritol Multivitamin
Geritol Multivitamin is a multi-vitamin blend of 26 vitamins and minerals that have been because their general health benefits that sustain the body as whole.
One of the active principles found in Geritol Multivitamin is a mineral called Iron, which is an essential element of the hemoglobin of red blood cells and the myoglobin of muscle cells. This ingredient presents with a range of general health benefits and aims to help with conditions like fatigue, depression, the inability to get pregnant, canker sores, Crohns disease, or attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder.
One of the other active ingredients is Vitamin D, a vitamin that can be obtained through food sources like herring, mackerel, sardines, or tuna, but most of the needed quantity is obtained through direct exposure to sunlight. This ingredient has been found to be effective in dealing with conditions like high cholesterol, high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, bronchitis, multiple sclerosis, premenstrual syndrome, etc. it also has the propriety of boosting the immune system. The use of this ingredient is not to be associated with conditions like sarcoidosis, lymphoma, kidney disease, or high levels of calcium in the blood.
Whats The Difference Between Geritol And A Prenatal Vitamin
Dr. Kaylen Silverberg, a Texas-based fertility specialist, says one key difference between Geritol and prenatal vitamins is the amount of folic acid: Theres more folic acid in a prenatal vitamin.
Folic acid is a B vitamin that plays a key role in a babys early spinal development. Not having enough can cause spina bifida, a potentially disabling condition that happens when the spinal cord doesnt form properly.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend that women take 400 micrograms of folic acid daily at least one month before getting pregnant and during pregnancy. Your doctor may recommend taking a higher amount, depending on your existing levels and whether or not youre getting enough through diet.
I tell all my patients to take prenatal vitamins. Im unaware of any studies that specifically link Geritol to pregnancy, says Dr. Silverberg.
Another key difference, according to Dr. Silverberg, is that prenatal vitamins include a stool softener. This is to help lessen the side effects from taking iron as a supplement. The mineral can cause problems in the digestive tract, including constipation.
Read Also: What Kind Of Vitamins Should I Take Daily
What Are Some Things I Need To Know Or Do While I Take Geritol Complete
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Geritol Complete ). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take Geritol Complete ).
- If you are allergic to soy, talk with your doctor. Some products have soy.
- If you are allergic to tartrazine, talk with your doctor. Some products have tartrazine.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Geritol Complete ) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
Discuss Vitamins With Your Healthcare Provider
It is important to discuss any supplements you want to take with your healthcare provider to ensure they are safe for your specific health history.
Remember when taking dietary supplements, those vitamins and minerals are also present in the foods you are eating. You may not need to be taking a supplement if you are eating enough variety in your diet to meet your vitamin and mineral needs.
Some types of vitamins and minerals are stored in the body, so taking large doses could cause a buildup to toxic levels. A few examples of those stored in the body include:
- Vitamin A
Recommended Reading: What Does Vitamin A And D Do
Does Geritol Multivitamin Work
As the name states, this product is a multi-vitamin blend of ingredients that mixes the healing capacities of 26 vitamins and minerals that aim to support general health.
Vitamin D is one of the active ingredients this blend is made up of and is a vitamin that is found in fatty fish like herring, sardines, tuna or mackerel, but the largest part of the amount found in the body comes from direct exposure to sunlight. This ingredient presents with a wide range of therapeutic qualities and can be used to help with conditions like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, bronchitis, premenstrual syndrome and can be also used to boost the immune system. The use of this ingredient is not recommended if suffering from kidney disease, high levels of calcium in the blood, sarcoidosis, or lymphoma.
Iron is also one of the active principles this product presents with and is a mineral that is mostly found in the hemoglobin of red blood cells as well as in the myoglobin of muscle cells. This ingredient has been indicated to be effective for conditions like attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder, canker sores, Crohns disease, fatigue, depression, as well as the inability to get pregnant.
This product is not intended for the use of children under 12.
There are online testimonials about Geritol Multivitamin. What is being said includes the following: