Which Vitamins Are Good For Mens Hair Growth
Mens hair requires similar vitamins as womens hair, but the cause of hair loss and hair thinning is different in men than women. Male pattern baldness is linked to both genetic and hormone factors. Recent research has shown that vitamin D deficiencies are associated with male pattern baldness. Hair supplements for male pattern baldness often include ingredients such as soluble keratin, kelp, horsetail, root extract and antioxidants, but the research on the effect of these ingredients on hair is still being conducted.
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as health or medical advice. Always consult a physician or other qualified health provider regarding any questions you may have about a medical condition or health objectives.
- More From CNET
You May Like: What Does Vitamin C Help With
Common Causes Of Vitamin B12 Deficiency
One of the most common causes blamed for B12 deficiency is aging. Statistics say that 4 in 100 women aged 40 to 59 are B12 deficient.
But studies say celebrating another birthday is not the only reason!
- Dietary deficiency poor eating habits, restricted dieting and excessive alcohol consumption. B12 deficiency symptoms are common in vegans and vegetarians.
- Bacteria overgrowth in the gut poor digestion gets your bad bacteria to thrive. When they grow in number, theyll have a fun party eating up all your B12.
- Lack of intrinsic factor if you lack intrinsic factor your intestines cant absorb B12. You lose your intrinsic factor if you have gut problems like gastritis.
- Removal of the stomach a surgical operation that removes part or your whole stomach. Indications include bleeding ulcers, repeated ulcers or stomach tumors and cancer. As a result of this procedure, you will no longer produce intrinsic factor and stomach acids. These two substances are important for B12 absorption!
- Gut problems celiac disorder and Crohns disease messes up gut balance. As a result, this hinders B12 absorption.
- Medications drugs for stomach ulcers, heartburn, diabetes, seizures and convulsions are the ultimate B12 absorption disruptors.
Dr. Berg has a great video about B12 where he explains these causes in a more in-depth view. Be sure to watch it !
People Taking Certain Medications
Commonly prescribed medications can lead to a deficiency in B vitamins.
For example, proton pump inhibitors, which are medications that lower stomach acid, can decrease the absorption of B12, while metformin, a popular diabetes drug, can decrease levels of both B12 and folate (
Pregnancy, medical conditions, surgeries, genetic mutations, medications, dietary restriction and age can all affect how your body absorbs and uses B vitamins.
While certain conditions make it necessary for some people to supplement with B-complex vitamins, research has shown that taking a B-complex supplement may be helpful even for people who dont have an increased need for these nutrients.
Recommended Reading: When Do You Apply Vitamin C Serum
Vitamin B12 Benefits That Youre Probably Missing
Are you struggling with fatigue, low energy levels, mood changes and a lack of focus? This can be a sign that youre dealing with a vitamin B12 deficiency. If thats the case, youre not alone.
About 40 percent of people have low levels of vitamin B12, which is an issue that needs to be addressed because this is an essential vitamin for the production of red blood cells and DNA, not to mention all the vitamin B12 benefits it provides.
Vitamin B12 deficiency is thought to be one of the leading nutrient deficiencies in the world, with a 2004 study showing that its a major health concern in many parts of the world, including the U.S., India, Mexico, Central America, South America and certain areas in Africa.
This is a big deal because B12 plays an important role in so many body functions, which is exactly why its critical that we get enough vitamin B12 foods in our diets.
So what does it do? This essential nutrient affects your:
It is also an essential vitamin for:
- addressing adrenal fatigue
- improving pernicious anemia and megaloblastic anemia
- benefiting multiple metabolic functions, including enzyme production, DNA synthesis and hormonal balance
- maintaining healthy nervous and cardiovascular systems
Because of its wide-reaching roles within the body, a deficiency in this essential vitamin can lead to a range of symptoms, including:
- chronic fatigue
- chronic stress or feeling run down
How Much Of Each B Vitamin Do I Need
- thiamin â women 0.8mg, men 1mg
- riboflavin â women 1.1g, men 1.3mg
- niacin â women 13.2mg, men 16.5mg
- pantothenic acid â women and men up to 200mg
- pyridoxine â women 1.2mg, men 1.5mg
- biotin â up to 0.9mg a day for both women and men
- folate â women and men 200mcg. However, women who are trying to conceive or pregnant should take 400mcg until 12 weeks pregnant
- vitamin B12 â women and men 1.5mcg
You May Like: Does Almond Milk Have Vitamin D
How Much Vitamin B12 Do I Need
Adults need about 1.5 micrograms a day of vitamin B12.
If you eat meat, fish or dairy foods, you should be able to get enough vitamin B12 from your diet.
But as vitamin B12 is not found naturally in foods such as fruit, vegetables and grains, vegans may not get enough of it.
Read about the vegan diet for nutrition information and advice.
Types Of Vitamins And Their Functions
Vitamins and minerals are a form of nutrient that are needed in small amounts. Although micronutrients dont give us energy, they are involved in the metabolic processes that enable us to get energy from carbohydrates, protein and fat. Macronutrients give us energy.
Different vitamins serve different purposes to the way our body functions. There are 13 vitamins in total and 8 of these come from the B-group of vitamins.
Vitamins and minerals can cause toxicity if consumed in large amounts.
Dont Miss: Are Nature Made Prenatal Vitamins Safe
Also Check: What Are All The Vitamins You Need In A Day
Converts Food Into Energy
Most of the B vitamins are involved in the process of converting food into energy. Some help metabolize carbohydrates, while others break down fat and/or protein.
While this is an essential process, it is not necessarily the case that taking a B-complex supplement will make you feel more energetic. Although your body needs B vitamins to create energy from the foods you eat, the effect is different when these vitamins are consumed in the form of dietary supplements rather than food.
B vitamins involved: B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, and B12
What Are The Symptoms Of A Vitamin B Deficiency
Vitamin B deficiency is rare in the UK, but two of the more common ones are a lack of vitamin B12 and folate.
Older people and vegans are most at risk of low vitamin B12 levels: older people because they produce too little âintrinsic factorâ in the stomach â a natural chemical that boosts B12 absorption â and vegans because they eat mainly plant foods.
Folic acid insufficiency now affects 75% of women of childbearing age in the UK, which could have a negative impact on foetal health.
What happens if I consume too much vitamin B?
Advice is for information only and should not replace medical care. Please check with your GP before trying any remedies.
26. Ellsworth MA, et al. Acute Liver Failure Secondary to Niacin Toxicity. Available from: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3965920/27. Mayo Clinic. Niacin. Available from: www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements-niacin/art-20364984?pg=228. Jacquelyn Cafasso. Can You Overdose on Niacin? Available from: www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/niacin-overdose29. As Source 130. ScienceDirect. B vitamins. Available from: www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/b-vitamins31. Kennedy DO, et al. Effects of high-dose B vitamin complex with vitamin C and minerals on subjective mood and performance in healthy males. Available from: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2885294/
You May Like: What Foods Give You Vitamin B
Folic Acid Benefits Of Vitamin B9
More research available here.
- Possible Reduced Chance of Autism Spectrum Disorder Research has suggested that mothers taking folic acid before or during pregnancy can reduce the chance of Autism in children. The mechanisms remain unclear for this interaction.
- Can Reduce Cancer Risk Evidence suggests that getting enough Vitamin B9 can reduce your risk for various types of cancers. Of course, more research is needed to determine the exact interactions.
- Reduce Risk of Stroke Folic Acid has been shown to reduce the risk of stroke. It does not appear to have a beneficial effect on cardiovascular problems.
- Could Help Cognitive Functioning Studies on dementia and cognitive functions showed promising observations. It is possible that B9 helps to improve brain functioning.
- May Help Depression Vitamin B9 can potentially help depression. Research suggests that taking folic acid along with other medications can reduce the symptoms of depression.
May Benefit Your Brain By Preventing The Loss Of Neurons
Vitamin B12 deficiency has been associated with memory loss, especially in older adults.
The vitamin may play a role in preventing brain atrophy, which is the loss of neurons in the brain and often associated with memory loss or dementia.
One study in people with early-stage dementia showed that a combination of vitamin B12 and omega-3 fatty acid supplements slowed mental decline .
Another study found that even vitamin B12 levels on the low side of normal can contribute to poor memory performance. As a result, supplementing with this vitamin may improve memory, even in the absence of a clinically diagnosed deficiency .
More research is needed to make sound conclusions on the effect of vitamin B12 supplements on memory and cognitive function.
Vitamin B12 may help prevent brain atrophy and memory loss. More research is needed to conclude if supplementing with this vitamin can improve memory in those without a deficiency.
Also Check: Where Are Centrum Vitamins Made
What Vitamins Are In The B Complex
Vitamin B Complex sometimes referred to as B100, make up a set of 8 vitamins that form the so-called Vitamin B Complex and together they fulfil a range of metabolic processes and ensure we are in top health.
These are the B complex vitamins, including Vitamin B12:
While all the Vitamin B100 Complex vitamins are chemically different, several can be found together in food sources.
Whats The Deal With Vitamin B12
Do you have brain fog, mood swings and fatigue?
You might be dealing with vitamin B12 deficiency!
40% of people lack vitamin B12, and its considered a leading nutrient deficiency globally. We need to address this vitamin deficiency because B12, or Cobalamin, is crucial to red blood cell and DNA formation, two functions that hold the key to our survival.
Vitamin B12 has wide-reaching effects on our body. For this reason, B12 deficiency symptoms can vary.
Unlike other vitamins, our body cant make B12 by itself. In addition, its a water-soluble vitamin, which means that the body cant store it for long periods like fat-soluble vitamins. For this reason, we need to replenish B12 daily through our diet.
Plant-based food is great but has low vitamin B12 content. Dietitians say that B12 is more common in seafood, beef liver and eggs.
The National Institutes of Healths Office of Dietary Supplements recommends 2.4 micrograms of B12 every day for women and men over the age of 14. Older people and those who have gut issues need more.
Read Also: What Vitamins Should Women In Their 20s Take
Do You Need A Vitamin B Supplement
Most folks get enough B vitamins through a healthy diet, but others may need a B complex supplement to keep their levels in check.
Pregnant and breastfeeding women, older adults, and those on restrictive diets may benefit from taking a supplement. Vegans and vegetarians should pay extra attention to their B12 intake.
The most common B vitamin deficiencies are:
- vitamin B6
- vitamin B12
In some cases, your doc might suggest a vitamin B12 shot. These are usually given to peeps who have a malabsorption issue. The shots can only be prescribed by a doctor.
Niacin Benefits Of Vitamin B
Vitamin B3 is great to have in your diet. Not only is it good for metabolism but it can also help with cholesterol levels. Research suggests that vitamin B3 can increase good cholesterol while also decreasing bad cholesterol levels.
Getting enough niacin can also reduce the chance of heart attacks and stroke. This may be linked to improved cholesterol levels.
Either way, Vitamin B3 will help you stay healthy!
Also Check: What Kind Of Fruit Has Vitamin D
Helps With Red Blood Cell Formation And Anemia Prevention
Vitamin B12 plays a vital role in helping your body produce red blood cells.
Low vitamin B12 levels cause a reduction in red blood cell formation and prevent them from developing properly .
Healthy red blood cells are small and round, whereas they become larger and typically oval in cases of vitamin B12 deficiency.
Due to this larger and irregular shape, the red blood cells are unable to move from the bone marrow into the bloodstream at an appropriate rate, causing megaloblastic anemia .
When youre anemic, your body doesnt have enough red blood cells to transport oxygen to your vital organs. This can cause symptoms like fatigue and weakness.
Vitamin B12 is involved in red blood cell formation. When vitamin B12 levels are too low, the production of red blood cells is altered, causing megaloblastic anemia.
Best For Low Energy: Pure Essence Labs Vitamin For Woman Over 40
The best part: pure essence labs vitaminfor women over 40 costs comparatively little and it is available to ship in 24 hours. The pure essence lab vitamin for women over40 is awesome, it feels great and it is good for energy production. The manufacturer says: These assist in the breakdown of proteins, carbs, starches, and many other things and decreases the burden on our digestive system and conserves energy for the rest of the body. Moreover, it is designed for great prices and it is great at a fair price.
Lastly, the pure essence labs vitamin for women over 40 is used for more energy, is good for the nervous system and it is very hard.
Almost all customers found that the vitamins are not the most expensive vitamins in the store. And, they also found that the vitamin has more minerals and vitamins than other popular brands. Moreover, they say that the vitamins are nowhere near the quality of these vitamins. Overall, at the price, they believe that they got a steal of a deal with it.
Top Customer Quotes:
- This is used for good results, has natural vitamins and it is of good quality.
- This is comprehensive and it is very helpful.
- This is great for extra energy, decided to try and it works for energy levels.
- This is highly recommended and it is made with great shipping.
Read Also: Is It Safe To Take Vitamin D Supplements
Vitamin B High Foods Foods For Vitamin B
B1 Rice, Beans, Peanuts, Whole Grains, Pork
B2 Milk, Liver, Mushrooms, Wild Rice, Legumes, Dark Green Leafy Vegetables
B3 Beef Liver, Chicken, Turkey, Fish, Rice, Cereals, Potatoes
B5 Liver, Some Cereals, Chicken, Tuna, Sunflower Seeds, Eggs, Mushrooms
B6 Chickpeas, Tuna, Liver, Chicken, Salmon, Cereals, Bananas
B7 Liver, Pork Chops, Eggs, Salmon, Sunflower Seeds, Almonds, Sweet Potatoes
B9 Liver, Spinach, Black-eyed peas, Cereal, Rice, Asparagus, Brussel Sprouts
Ways To Get More Vitamin B12
We want to help you get the most of your vitamin B12 benefits! Here are some tips that you can do every day.
1. Consume top foods with vitamin B12! The richest food sources of vitamin B12 include shrimps, crabs, salmon, mackerel, sardines and herring. Seafood like mussels, clams and oysters are also great B12 sources. Not to forget liver meat, lean chicken, beef and turkey are good sources as well. Many vegans go for almond milk and coconut milk, Greek yogurt, organic eggs and Swiss cheese for their B12 needs.
2. Eat more dark leafy greens or veggies. These veggies are not rich in B12, but they have folic acid, iron and vitamin B9. These nutrients help create vitamin B12! Examples include your ladys finger, kale and broccoli.
3. Add nutritional yeast to your diet. Its a great source of B12! Nutritional yeast comes in flakes and powders, but its also available in granules. You can use nutritional yeast like seasoning! Sprinkle it over your food and mix it in your salad dressings or dips.
4. If youre a meat-eater, pick organic, pasteurized and grass-fed meat. They have lesser chemicals, xenoestrogens and harmful compounds. Choosing organic meat means you get more healthy amounts of B12 too!
5. Take B12 supplements there are plenty of B12 supplements on the market. Buy organic/natural B12 supplements and check if its vegan-certified. Choose methylcobalamin B12 kind and pick the spray or liquid forms. They are easier to absorb and are convenient to use!
Hair La Vie Clinical Formula
Hair La Vie Clinical Formula contains a proprietary blend of 20 clinically-studied natural ingredients, including reishi mushroom, flaxseed, zinc, selenium, and vitamin D3. Combined, they thicken hair and reduce damaged follicles.
It also includes 5,000 mcg of biotin and EVNol Max, which are vitamin E Tocotrienols that boost the immune system to support optimal hair growth. All gluten-free and no GMOs.
Can Taking Vitamin B Supplements Cause Side Effects
Vitamin supplements can interact with other medications. It is important to speak to your healthcare professional before taking supplements or starting a new prescription medicine.