Frequently Asked Questions About Cyproheptadine + Lysine
Question almost 3 years ago
Is Cyproheptadine + Lysine over the counter drug?
Dr. Amit SinghMBBS , General Physician
No, you can not buy Cyproheptadine + Lysine over-the-counter. It is a prescription drug, without prescription of a healthcare practitioner, you can not buy directly from the pharmacy. It is for our own safety taking this medicine without doctors advice can lead to unwanted side effects.
Question over 3 years ago
Does Cyproheptadine + Lysine increase appetite?
Dr. Yogesh KumarMBBS , General Physician
Yes,Cyproheptadine + Lysine can increase appetite. The mechanism of increasing appetite of this medicine includes increasing energy intake through more eating and stimulation of growth hormone by deep sleep induction. Using Cyproheptadine + Lysine can improve the nutritional status in children with malnutrition.
Question over 3 years ago
Does Cyproheptadine + Lysine cause drowsiness?
Dr. Chinmaya BalMBBS , General Physician
Yes, Cyproheptadine + Lysine can cause drowsiness. It is one of the most common side effects of this medicine. Do not drive a vehicle or do heavy machinery work after taking this medicine.
Question almost 3 years ago
can I use Cyproheptadine + Lysine for headache?
Dr. AbhijitMBBS , General Physician
Yes, Cyproheptadine + Lysine can be used for headache . Consult your doctor about possible risk of consuming this medicine for your condition.
Question about 3 years ago
Does Cyproheptadine + Lysine cause high blood pressure?
Is It Safe To Use Apetamin For Weight Gain
Because of legality issues and lack of regulation from the FDA, you cant trust apetamin products to contain what they say they have on the label. Additionally, the side effects of the active ingredient cyproheptadine hydrochloride can be severe without a prescription . For those reasons, its unsafe to use apetamin for weight gain.
Potential Side Effects Of Apetamin
Apetamin has many safety concerns and is illegal in many countries, which is why reputable stores in the United States dont sell it.
Still, people manage to get their hands on illegally imported Apetamin through small websites, classified listings, and social media outlets.
A major concern is that it contains cyproheptadine hydrochloride, a prescription-only medication that has been linked to various side effects, including (
- nausea and diarrhea
- liver toxicity and failure
In addition, it can interact with alcohol, grapefruit juice, and many drugs, including antidepressants, Parkinsons disease medications, and other antihistamines .
Because Apetamin is imported illegally into the United States, its not regulated by the FDA. Thus, it may contain different types or amounts of ingredients than listed on the label .
Considering its illegal status in the United States and other countries, as well as its adverse effects, you should avoid trying this supplement.
Instead, speak with your healthcare provider to determine the safest and most effective treatment option if you have trouble gaining weight or a medical condition that reduces your appetite.
Apetamin is illegal in the United States and many other countries. Plus, its main ingredient, cyproheptadine hydrochloride, has been linked to serious side effects and is only available with a prescription.
Read Also: How Much Vitamin B12 Should I Take For Weight Loss
Is It Effective For Weight Gain
Though research on Apetamin and weight gain is lacking, several studies found that cyproheptadine hydrochloride, its main ingredient, may aid weight gain in people who have lost their appetite and are at risk of malnutrition.
Additionally, a 12-week study in 16 children and adolescents with cystic fibrosis noted that taking cyproheptadine hydrochloride daily led to significant increases in weight, compared to a placebo .
A review of 46 studies in people with varying conditions observed that the substance was well tolerated and helped underweight individuals gain weight. However, it did not help people with progressive diseases, such as HIV and cancer .
While cyproheptadine may benefit those at risk of malnutrition, it could lead to excessive weight gain in overweight people or those with a healthy weight.
For example, a study in 499 people from the Democratic Republic of Congo revealed that 73% of participants were misusing cyproheptadine and at risk of obesity .
In short, while cyproheptadine hydrochloride may help underweight people gain weight, it may put the average person at risk of obesity, which is a significant problem worldwide.
Apetamin contains cyproheptadine hydrochloride, which may increase appetite as a side effect. In theory, it may do so by raising levels of IGF-1 and acting on the area of your brain that controls appetite and food intake.
What Do I Need To Tell My Doctor Before I Take Cyproheptadine Syrup
For all patients taking cyproheptadine syrup:
- If you have an allergy to cyproheptadine or any other part of cyproheptadine syrup.
- If you are allergic to cyproheptadine syrup any part of cyproheptadine syrup or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: Bowel block, enlarged prostate, glaucoma, trouble passing urine, or ulcers in your stomach or bowel.
- If you are taking certain drugs used for depression like isocarboxazid, phenelzine, or tranylcypromine, or drugs used for Parkinson’s disease like selegiline or rasagiline.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Linezolid or methylene blue.
- If you are 65 or older.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take cyproheptadine syrup.
- If your child is a premature baby or is a newborn. Do not give cyproheptadine syrup to a premature baby or a newborn.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with cyproheptadine syrup.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take cyproheptadine syrup with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
Read Also: What Is The Best Time To Take Vitamin D Supplement
How Does Apetamin Work
Consumers believe that apetamin promotes weight gain because of its active ingredient of cyproheptadine hydrochloride. This powerful antihistamine has been used as an appetite stimulant in malnourished children and people with chronic diseases, such as cystic fibrosis.
Researchers and doctors arent entirely sure why cyproheptadine hydrochloride stimulates appetite, but a few possible scenarios exist.
For example, cyproheptadine hydrochloride may increase insulin-like growth factor hormone in underweight children. This hormone has been linked to weight gain in malnourished children.
Cyproheptadine hydrochloride may also interfere with your brain’s hypothalamus, the small section that regulates appetite, cravings, food consumption, and many hormones.
In animal studies, L-lysine, the amino acid found in apetamin syrup, has led to increased appetite and weight gain. Still, theres no research on the appetite effects of l-lysine in humans.
Much more research is needed to determine whether apetamin is an effectiveand safeweight gain supplement for humans.
Where To Buy Apetamin
There are a number of websites available on the internet that can supply with a huge amount of this kind of medicine. When it comes to Apetamin wholesale, people are often seemed to come across various fraudulent sites. Before you choose your product vendor, it is really necessary to check the legitimacy and reputation of the supplier and the ingredients of the medicines. Always go for the genuine rates depending upon customer reviews. Prices may not to the same for each shopping website as it depends and varies from country to country. Products authenticity and availability has always been the most important factor that you need to consider.
Recommended Reading: Where Can I Get Vitamin C Powder
Some Quick Facts About Apetamin
- Although it has not been approved as a drug by the FDA, it is mostly used as a food supplement for weight gaining purpose.
- It contains Cyproheptadine, Lysine, and vitamins like Vitamin-A, Thiamine/B-1, C, D and Vitamin E as the main components. These components are also used in other terms of medications like allergies, headaches, anorexia, cachexia, and severe malnutrition.
- It might carry temporary side effects like drowsiness, hunger, lower metabolic rate. However, these effects dont last long once your body gets used to its dosage.
Symptoms And Treatment Of Overdosage
Antihistamine overdosage reactions may vary from central nervous system depression to stimulation especially in children.
Also, atropine like signs and symptoms as well as gastrointestinal symptoms may occur.
If vomiting has not occurred spontaneously, the patient should be induced to vomit with syrup of ipecac, If the patient is unable to vomit perform gastric lavage followed by activated charcoal Isotonic or half isotonic saline is the lavage of choice.
Precautions against aspiration must be taken especially in infant and children.
Also Check: Vitamin D For Weight Loss
How Is Cyproheptadine Syrup Supplied
Cyproheptadine Hydrochloride Syrup 2 mg/5 mL in a yellow, peppermint-flavored vehicle is supplied in a 473 mL container and in a 946 mL container .
Store at 20° to 25°C excursion permitted to 15° to 30°C .
Dispense in a tight, light-resistant container as defined in the USP, with a child-resistant closure.
How Does It Work
Cyproheptadine, the active ingredient in Apetamin, is a first-generation antihistamine drug. Doctors and pharmacists rarely recommend cyproheptadine hydrochloride for allergies and hives, since newer antihistamines cause less drowsiness and fewer side effects.
Cyproheptadine competes with histamine, the chemical that causes allergic reactions, to treat allergic reactions. Unlike other antihistamines, cyproheptadine also blocks serotonin receptors. Blocking serotonin at the appetite center of the hypothalamus may explain how it affects appetite.
Appetite investigated the use of cyproheptadine to stimulate appetite and body weight. The researchers analyzed 46 articles across 21 different treatment populations. Of these, 39 studies demonstrated that cyproheptadine results in increased weight gain.
However, studies involving people living with malignant and progressive diseases such as human immunodeficiency disorder and cancer that affect appetite and weight showed minimal to no benefit. The most common side effect reported was drowsiness, while the participants generally had a high tolerance for cyproheptadine.
Further studies are necessary to confirm these findings.
As Apetamin contains the prescription drug cyproheptadine, it is illegal for someone without the appropriate license to sell it within the U.S. People who purchase Apetamin buy the product from potentially unsafe websites and social media outlets.
TIL Healthcare also produce other appetite stimulants:
Also Check: What Are The Benefits Of Taking Vitamin B6
Cyproheptadine + Lysine Related Warnings
Is the use of Cyproheptadine + Lysine safe for pregnant women?
Side effects of Cyproheptadine + Lysine during pregnancy are not known because scientific research on this topic hasn’t been done.
Is the use of Cyproheptadine + Lysine safe during breastfeeding?
There is no research available on the side effects of Cyproheptadine + Lysine in breastfeeding women. Therefore, its impact is unknown.
What is the effect of Cyproheptadine + Lysine on the Kidneys?
Cyproheptadine + Lysine is not harmful for kidneys.
What is the effect of Cyproheptadine + Lysine on the Liver?
Using Cyproheptadine + Lysine does not have any harmful effects on the liver.
What is the effect of Cyproheptadine + Lysine on the Heart?
Cyproheptadine + Lysine is completely safe for the heart.
Essentials You Need To Keep In Mind Before Starting Apetamin
Some vital facts that you should keep in mind before you start your session with Apetamin:
- Intake of such medicines causes you to gain weight at a rapid rate by affecting your normal body functions. They will stimulate your food habits and allow you to eat larger meals with regular usage.
- Always ask yourself whether you are in the right state to start with this medicine? An abrupt weight gain or loss could have a drastic effect on your body.
- It consists of Cyproheptadine, which when consumed with alcohol, or during pregnancy, or with other certain medications can be lethal for anyone.
- You might have to make a habit of continuing with the medication or increase your calorie intakes along with exercise.
- Always check the products legality and customers reviews considering their health conditions.
Fortunately, most consumers have a positive experience with no major or harmful effects.
You May Like: Vitamin D 25 Hydroxy Supplement
Indications And Usage For Cyproheptadine Syrup
Perennial and seasonal allergic rhinitis
Allergic conjunctivitis due to inhalant allergens and foods
Mild, uncomplicated allergic skin manifestations of urticaria and angioedema
Amelioration of allergic reactions to blood or plasma
As therapy for anaphylactic reactions adjunctive to epinephrine and other standard measures after the acute manifestations have been controlled.
What To Do Instead
With the pressures put on us by social media to achieve impossible beauty standards, its no wonder that so many people are looking for a miracle solution or quick fix. But, as Dr Halim says, you have to ask yourself whether the benefits outweigh the risks. Here, we see that the risks are much greater than any possible benefit claimed, she says.
Her recommendation is always to focus on nutrition and exercise to achieve a healthy physique without risking ones health or life, and she also supports cosmetic enhancements when done in a healthy manner. I emphasise to my patients that the goal is to focus on ones own beauty as opposed to the photoshopped images on social media, she says. Hopefully by educating our patients about these trends and through positive reinforcement of body image reality vs social media, we can mitigate any dire consequences associated with unsafe practices, medications, supplements, and even some risky procedures.
According to the BBC, multiple retail and social media platforms have promised to take action to remove Apetamin from their sites. A spokesperson for Depop told BBC Three, Medical products, including unlicensed products such as Apetamin, are not permitted on Depop and will be removed, while a YouTube spokesperson said: YouTubes Community Guidelines prohibit any content encouraging dangerous or illicit activities. We routinely remove content flagged by our community that violates these policies.
Read Also: Best Vitamins To Increase Estrogen Levels
What Are Some Things I Need To Know Or Do While I Take Cyproheptadine Syrup
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take cyproheptadine syrup. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how cyproheptadine syrup affects you.
- This medicine may affect allergy skin tests. Be sure your doctor and lab workers know you take cyproheptadine syrup.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- This medicine may make you sunburn more easily. Use care if you will be in the sun. Tell your doctor if you sunburn easily while taking this drug.
- Overdoses have happened with cyproheptadine syrup in children. Overdose of cyproheptadine syrup can cause very bad health problems and may lead to death. Talk with the doctor if you have questions.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using cyproheptadine syrup while you are pregnant.
What Are Some Side Effects That I Need To Call My Doctor About Right Away
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash hives itching red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever wheezing tightness in the chest or throat trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking unusual hoarseness or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Fast or abnormal heartbeat.
- Change in how often urine is passed.
- Feeling confused.
- Hallucinations .
- Feeling irritable.
- Trouble sleeping.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
Read Also: How Much Vitamin D Should I Take In A Day
Description Of Apetamin Syrup And Apetamin Pills
Apetamin syrup and pills contain a unique combination of Cyproheptadine, Lysine and Vitamins. Cyproheptadine and Lysine being an essential and limiting amino acid helps to promote appetite.
Besides helping in the synthesis of collagen tissue. Lysine also helps to improve immunity during infancy, childhood & adolescence.
The water soluble vitamins in Apetamin being coenzymes helps to absorb the amino acid lysine through the intenstinal villi faster and assist in better utilization of Lysine.
They also improve immunity and help to correct marginal vitamin deficiency.
How Do I Store And/or Throw Out Cyproheptadine Syrup
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Don’t Miss: What Does Vitamin B Complex Do For You
Cyproheptadine + Lysine Dosage & How To Take
This is the usual dosage recommended in most common treatment cases. Please remember that every patient and their case is different, so the dosage can be different based on the disease, route of administration, patient’s age and medical history.
Find the right dosage based on disease and ageAge Group
Based on research, the following side effects have been observed when Cyproheptadine + Lysine is used –
- à¤®à¥à¤¤à¥à¤° à¤ªà¥à¤°à¤¤à¤¿à¤§à¤¾à¤°à¤£
- à¤®à¤¤à¤²à¥ à¤¯à¤¾ à¤à¤²à¤à¥
- à¤ªà¥à¤ à¤®à¥à¤ à¤à¤à¤ à¤¨