Vitamin D Deficiency And Hair Loss
Vitamin D is an important nutrient that is essential to our health. It boosts immunity, keeps bones strong and skin healthy, stimulates cell growth, and helps create new hair follicles. You absorb vitamin D through sun exposure primarily, but you can take dietary supplements and eat certain foods to up your intake of the nutrient.
A number of symptoms, such as hair loss, can occur when your body lacks the recommended amount of vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to alopecia, also known as spot baldness, and . These include bone softening, low bone density, osteoarthritis, heart disease, and cancer.
Read Also: Do Prenatal Vitamins Make You Gain Weight
How To Choose A Hair Growth Supplement
Ideally, you’ll get enough of these and other nutrients your body needs through food, eliminating the need for hair growth supplements, says Dr. Boham. “Diet is always best,” since you’re less likely to run into toxicity that way, she says. “But if you’re working with who can test your levels and know exactly what you need, supplementation can really be effective when diet alone doesn’t work,” she says. Know that “it’s really good to have a targeted approach to supplementation so you know what you’re taking and for what reason.” Consider visiting a nutritionist or medical professional who “can do an evaluation of your diet and nutritional status because that can help you know exactly what to take,” and how much, says Dr. Boham.
That said, it’s generally safe to add more protein to your diet if you take stock of your eating habits and realize you’re failing to meet the daily recommended amount. Generally, one gram of protein per day per kilogram of your bodyweight suffices, says Dr. Boham. “There are lots of different protein supplements out there from collagen to pea protein and people will notice a difference,” she says. “And the amino acid supplements are the breakdown products of the protein. If it’s a blend of amino acids most people tolerate it pretty well.”
When it comes to hair growth , iron, protein, and biotin are your friends. If you’re failing to get enough of one of them through your diet, supplements may play a key role in your hair regrowth plan.
Vitamin Supplements And Female Hair Loss
There are many natural vitamins that contribute to overall hair healthsuch as shine, texture and colorand some even promote growth and volume. Some of the essential vitamins are:
- Iron has been strongly linked to proper hair growth. Women who have iron deficiency experience hair loss at a faster rate. Including iron-rich foods in your diet and taking an iron supplement can help improve hair growth, particularly in women with alopecia areata, hair loss caused by odd immune responses.
- Biotin is a key vitamin in hair growth. This water-soluble B vitamin contributes to the strength and flexibility of hair follicles, reducing breakage and promoting growth. A lack of biotin has been known to lead to hair loss, and, in some severe cases, even cause eyelashes to fall out. Biotin is usually produced naturally in the body, but supplements are encouraged in female hair loss patients.
- Zinc helps with cell growth, and may also affect levels of androgens in the body, which are hormones involved in some genetic forms of female hair loss. Zinc is a major component in Karatin production, which is an essential part of hair. Zinc is found in many foods, but a supplement may be necessary to help boost the amount of zinc in your body.
You May Like: What Is The Best Vitamins To Take For Hormonal Imbalance
Supplements And Vitamins For Hair Loss In Women
The life cycle of your hair follicles is very important to maintain your healthy hair. It consists of three major phases growing, resting, and falling out which then will be replaced by a new one. When this cycle goes awry, we can notice more hairs that fall out. And there are some supplements and vitamins to help cope with hair loss in women.
What Stimulates Hair Growth
According to Healthline, it is possible to stimulate hair follicles without prescription medication. Products for female hair loss, such as light therapy helmets , can help. Massage, a healthy diet, and nutrients such as biotin, coconut oil, aloe vera , can also help promote root health, which stimulates new growth.
Keep scrolling to see our picks for the best supplements for hair growth in women over 50!
See more of our best product recommendations.
You May Like: What Does Vitamin C Help With Your Body
Biotin 5000mcg Hair Growth Vitamin Supplements
- Grow Longer & Stronger Locks – Achieve lusher and healthier hair with Vytalife hair growth vitamin supplements. Formulated with biotin 5000mcg, these hair growth vitamins encourage keratin production which aids in healthy hair and nail growth.
- Fight Hair Loss – Our carefully designed hair vitamins contain B-complex and zinc, key elements to support hair follicle health, as well as iron and 11 additional vitamins to help prevent a variety of deficiencies that can cause hair fall.
- Formulated by Doctors – Our biotin and collagen supplements are formulated by experts to ensure your hair is restored to its natural glory. Non-GMO and made in the USA, it will also help strengthen your nails and boost healthier looking skin.
- Take 2 Every Day – Keep your hair lush and beautiful by taking 2 capsules every day after a meal, 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening, with this 45 day supply bottle. Each bottle includes 90 capsules of our hair loss treatments for women.
- Recommendations – If you are pregnant, nursing or taking any medication consult your doctor before use. Discotinue use and contact your health care professional if you experience any side effect or allergic reaction.
What Is The Best Kind Of Supplement For Genetic And Age
The best supplements for women with genetic and age-related hair loss include DHT blocking ingredients. These ingredients block the effects of the male hormone on the hair follicles and allow normal regrowth of new healthier, stronger hair. For best results, these DHT blockers should be combined with vitamins, minerals, and peptides essential for the hair follicle’s proper function and adaptogens to enhance scalp health.
Don’t Miss: Which Vitamins Are Needed Daily
Q: Is Zinc Good For Your Hair
A: Zinc is an important mineral for the hair which may help with growth by repairing damage to the follicles and tissue. In addition, it can assist in the absorption of other nutrients. Zinc can participate in regulating hormones, which may also prevent hair loss.
A study in the Annals of Dermatology found a connection between low serum zinc levels and hair loss and suggested it as a potential treatment .
Best Gummy: Nature’s Bounty Advanced Hair Gummies
These dermatologist-approved gummy vitamins contain a myriad of strengthening ingredients, like biotin and vitamins A, C, and E, to stimulate hair cells. “ââOur cells need vitamin A for growth. helps your glands make something called sebum, which is an oily substance. This keeps your scalp healthy and can help your hair grow if your body is producing enough,” explains Dr. Lee.
One user called them the “best vitamin gummies” and said, “Helped my hair grow from the bottom of my ears to the tip of my shoulders in about 4 months.” Another person said they’ve made a “noticeable difference in hair and nail growth,” while others called out the “delicious” strawberry flavor and how easy they are to chew.
Recommended Reading: Are Nature Made B12 Vitamins Vegan
Which Vitamins Are Good For Men’s Hair Growth
Men’s hair requires similar vitamins as women’s hair, but the cause of hair loss and hair thinning is different in men than women. Male pattern baldness is linked to both genetic and hormone factors. Recent research has shown that vitamin D deficiencies are associated with male pattern baldness. Hair supplements for male pattern baldness often include ingredients such as soluble keratin, kelp, horsetail, root extract and antioxidants, but the research on the effect of these ingredients on hair is still being conducted.
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as health or medical advice. Always consult a physician or other qualified health provider regarding any questions you may have about a medical condition or health objectives.
Hair Loss In Black Adults
There’s little information on hair growth products for Black women, even though almost half have reported hair loss, according to a 2016 survey from the American Academy of Dermatology.
The most common cause of hair loss in this population is central centrifugal cicatricial alopecia where inflammation can lead to permanent hair loss. Treatments include steroids and other anti-inflammatory medications as well as oral antibiotics and minoxidil.
Another cause is called traction alopecia, caused by prolonged and tight pulling on the hair, often from hair styles like braiding or cornrows. Traction alopecia can be remedied by changing hair styles to looser settings. In more severe cases, minoxidil may help, per the Skin of Color Society.
Jada Pinkett Smith has alopecia areata, an autoimmune disorder which is more common in Black adults than Asian or white people, per Yale Medicine. Treatments include topical formulations as well as steroids and other medications.
Also Check: How Best To Take Vitamin D Supplement
Vitamin C And Iron For Hair Loss
Role in hair: your body needs vitamin C in order to absorb iron, a mineral that plays a key role in the red blood cells that transport oxygen around your body. When you dont have enough iron, less oxygen can be used for the growth and repair of the cells that stimulate hair growth.
Supplementing for hair loss: if you are iron-deficient, Van Onselen suggests that both vitamin C and iron supplements may be helpful in reversing temporary hair loss.
Best Prenatal: Pink Stork Total Prenatal Vitamin
You likely know that prenatal vitamins help provide the building blocks for optimal growth and function for both mom and baby, but you might not realize that they also could be beneficial to your hair. “Most contain a complement of iron, B complex vitamins, and minerals that support your hair follicles,” Dr. Zeichner notes. He recommends prenatal vitamins for hair growth, especially those that contain biotin, a B complex vitamin that’s great for hair and nail health. Luckily, Pink Stork Total Prenatal Vitamins are packed with vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin E, B complex vitamins, and biotin to satisfy Dr. Zeichner’s criteria.
Amazon shoppers say the supplements are “easier to swallow” than other pre-natal vitamins and don’t make them feel sick after. Another customer said: “The prenatal’s are high-quality and the only prenatal I’ve taken where I’ve felt a difference, like nail and hair growth.”
Recommended Reading: What Vitamins Should I Take For Healthy Skin
Other Causes Of Hair Loss
As mentioned at the beginning of this article, there are many common causes associated with hair loss:
- Androgenetic alopecia: known hereditary hair loss or male/female pattern baldness. A 2017 study found a link between female pattern baldness and vitamin D deficiency.
- Age: hair growth naturally slows as you age.
- Alopecia areata: an autoimmune condition.
- Cancer treatment: such as chemotherapy or radiation treatments.
- Hormonal imbalance: can be caused by several reasons, such as polycystic ovary syndrome or starting/stopping birth control.
- Telogen effluvium: temporary hair loss that can occur after stress, shock, or a traumatic event. Although not considered the leading cause, vitamin D deficiency has been linked to telogen effluvium.
- Medication: there is a wide range of drugs that can contribute to hair loss, like certain acne medications, antibiotics, immunosuppressants, and more.
- Pregnancy/childbirth: often due to hormonal imbalance or stress levels.
- Certain illnesses: such as thyroid disease, skin infections, and conditions like psoriasis.
- Types of hair care and styles: using tight hairstyles or harsh chemicals on your hair.
- Essential vitamins and mineral deficiencies: such as vitamin D, iron, protein, and zinc.
As there are so many factors to consider, you should speak to your healthcare practitioner if you are worried about your hair loss. Since vitamin D has been linked to several hair loss causes, they might want to explore if you are deficient in vitamin D.
Increase Your Dietary Protein
Whatever the kind of hair loss problem you are experiencing, its always important to always get plenty of dietary protein. In fact, most of your hair is made of protein. So to promote hair growth, you need to get enough protein!
If you have lack of protein, this can affect the life cycle of your hair follicles and typically, hair loss will be noticed a few months later. Foods rich in protein include eggs, nuts, beans, fish, fruits, and meats.
Its quite rare to use protein supplement to treat hair loss in women. But sometimes, this supplement may also be prescribed if necessary!
You May Like: What Is Vitamin D Milk
Vitamin Supplements For Female Hair Loss
When more hair is showing up on your brush than normal or your part is looking a little wider, these may be early signs of hair loss, and for women, it can be a traumatic and embarrassing experience. Female hair loss can be a result of many different things, including genetics, stress, pregnancy or certain medical conditions. Since some types of hair loss are caused by illness or nutrition problems, the best way to prevent it is to maintain a healthy lifestyle, and that includes getting the essential vitamins and minerals that keep our bodies in top shape. There are many vitamin supplements for hair loss, specifically catered to help women. But will these vitamin-packed pills really help?
How Supplements Can Impact Hair Growth
If you’re experiencing hair loss or hair thinning, your diet may be fully or partially to blame. “So often there are multiple things coming together that are influencing someone’s health and hair growth,” says Dr. Boham. That said, nutrition is a common factor, she says. “When people come to complaining of hair loss and we do testing, so often we find issues with nutritional status,” says Dr. Boham. “I would say at least half the time I see issues with nutrition that are contributing to hair loss.” And that’s where supplements come in.
Recommended Reading: What Do Prenatal Vitamins Have In Them
Best Thinning Hair: Nutrafol Capsules For Hair Growth
Nearly every dermatologist we polled cited Nutrafol supplements as a winning choice for hair growth. New York City dermatologist Debra Jaliman, MD, raves about the ingredient list of these hair growth pills, which boasts a slew of beneficial vitamins and antioxidants like vitamin A, biotin, keratin, resveratrol, and biologically active compounds derived from food and botanicals. “The special blend of all these ingredients make this a very good product,” she says. “It has components that many other hair growth supplements do not have.”
More than 4,000 shoppers left the supplements a five-star rating on Amazon, with many raving over the effectiveness of the formula. One person said: “I bought this for my thinning hair. I have used it for 2 months. I was completely caught off guard as I noticed not only new hair growth but a REMARKABLE change in my color coming back! I have 50% less grey using this product. My hair is growing back and coming out brown…NOT GREY.”
Q: What Are The Best Vitamins For Hair Growth
A: Is there one best vitamin for hair loss? In fact, there are several vitamins that can have a potent impact on hair growth and overall health.
Most of these also have powerful antioxidant properties and can repair hair and follicle damageand protect from UV rays and pollutants. They also have anti-inflammatory agents which may reduce redness and swell on the scalp.
Vitamin A This key nutrient promotes cell growth, and it also produces sebum which keeps the scalp healthy and hydrated. A lack of Vitamin A may cause hair loss.
Vitamin D This vitamin may create new hair follicles, leading to increased hair growth and thickness. Vitamin D may slow or prevent hair loss and shedding.
Vitamin C Besides being a potent antioxidant, this vitamin can promote collagen production. Collagen is a protein that strengthens the hair and promotes growth.
Vitamin E This is an antioxidant which can repair scalp and follicle damage and elevate the overall health and immunity of the hair.
B Vitamins These vitamins produce red blood cells, which in turn transfer oxygen and nutrients to the cells. This promotes hair growth and health.
Also Check: How Long Does Vitamin D Take To Work
Viviscal Hair Growth Supplements For Women To Grow Thicker Fuller Hair Clinically Proven With Proprietary Collagen Complex 60 Count 1 Month Supply
- One 60 ct box of Viviscal Hair Growth Supplements for Women
- Number 1 selling hair growth vitamin and supplement pills for women that reduce shedding and promote existing hair growth, are recommended by Doctors and Stylists, and are clinically proven to nourish fine or thinning hair
- Suitable for all hair types, Viviscal Hair Growth Vitamin Supplements have been scientifically proven to nourish thinning hair and promote existing hair growth
- Backed by over 25 years of research and development with comparable formulas, millions of women around the world have discovered the power of Viviscal Hair Growth Pills for Women to promote thicker, fuller and healthier looking hair
- 100% drug free, this hair supplement is made with proprietary Aminomar Collagen Complex and other key ingredients to support healthy hair growth including Biotin, Zinc, Vitamin C, Iron, and Niacin.